The University of Manitoba also known as U Manitoba, UM or U of M is a University of Western Canada that was founded on February 28, 1877, by Alexander Morris. It is a non-denominational, public research University. Its main campus is located in the Fart Garry neighborhood of Southern Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
More than $2 million dollars are offered by the Faculty of Graduate Studies in University Graduate Fellowships (UMGF) to full-time Master’s and Ph.D. students to recognize academic excellence each year. This award or support is applicable to students who have shown superiority in intellectual ability and academic accomplishments. This scholarship with annual funding of $2.1 million as earlier stated is a part of UMGF’s commitment to providing post-secondary school education. U of M ensures that their best students continue their research and this leads to economic growth. Plus, excellent master’s and Ph.D. students are attracted to study at the University of Manitoba.
Host Institution (s):
University of Manitoba
Level of Scholarship:
Any graduate degree programs offered by the University (excluding students in the Faculty of Medicine and Master of Business Administration – MBA).
All students are eligible for the application regardless of citizenship.
Worth of Scholarship value/ inclusions:
- UMGF Master’s awards are valued at $14,000 per year for 12 or 24 months, for up to a total of $28,000.
- UMGF doctoral awards are valued at $18,000 per year for 12,24,26 or 48 months, for up to a total of $72,000.
- MGS mater’s award is worth $15,000 per year for 12 or 24 months up to a total of $30,000.
- The Unit/Department of Faculty will determine the duration (in annual increments) of the student’s UMGF at the time of the recommendation.
- The unit/department or the Faculty will determine the start of the scholarship at the time of the recommendation.
- The worth and duration of your award will be adjusted to take into account a change in your registration status, e.g early completion of your degree, termination of your graduate studies program, or other reasons.
- Master’s students – scholarship holders should note that their fellowship will not extend more than the first 28 months of their Master’s program.
- Ph.D. students – scholarship holders should note that their fellowship will not extend more than the first 52 months of their Ph.D. program.
- The total maximum UMGF support for any individual graduate student is five years (60 months). This entails that a student who has received a UMGF for two years in their master’s program will only be eligible for three years of UMGF funding at the doctoral level.
- Students must take up their awards if the application is successful in the current academic year. Students who are unable to award within the current academic year must decline the award.
- Students with an admission GPA of at least 3.0 are considered for this award.
- Please contact your Department as they may have a higher GPA requirement. Students must have been admitted as full-time students without provision or have cleared provisional admission as a Master’s or Ph.D. student in a graduate program at the University of Manitoba.
- Similarly, be full-time in the graduate program of study in the unit that recommends you to UMGF
- Moreover, accept the terms and conditions of the award, set out in this guide, and notice of award.
- Further, be members in good standing and abide by rules/principles binding the university community as stated in the “Student Discipline By-Law.”
- Also, a minimum GPA of 3.00 must be maintained and not receive any grade below in the current year.
- However, the student must not be a full-time student in more than one program.
- Finally, apply and accept (if offered) the National scholarship for which you are eligible, at every possible competition.
- Please refer to the University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship (UMGF) Award Holder’s Guide for additional details.
The deadline for this application varies, It is an annual scholarship
Please consult your Department/Unit for the application process and deadline. Once the Department/Unit determines their selection, students are recommended to the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Deadline varies per faculty.
It is important to visit the official website (below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: