What are the Admission Requirements to Study in Canada for International Students?

Each year Canadian universities and colleges accept thousands of international students to undertake undergraduate and graduate degrees at their schools. International students who want to study in Canada need to be aware of the admission requirements for each specific program they are interested in. Most programs require a high school diploma (or its equivalent) and a certain score on the University Entrance Exam (commonly referred to as SAT/ACT).

The information in this article will provide an overview of the general application process for international students who want to study in Canada. Applying to Canadian universities and colleges is quite straightforward; provided that you can meet their admission requirements.

Some universities’ or colleges’ requirements may not be included in this article due to a lack of information regarding the admission requirements for international students. If you are interested in studying in Canada, it is advisable to check with your preferred university or college, by email or by telephone, regarding the specific entrance requirements for international students.

As mentioned above, international students should take note of the admission requirements for each program they want to enroll in, and follow the steps below:

The exact procedures to apply for admission will vary from one university or college to another. Therefore, it is advised that international students research each university or college they are interested in before beginning an application for admission.

The admission requirements to study in Canada for international students

The admission requirements to study in Canada for international students in 2021 is the following:

  • A bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution for postgraduate studies
  • An acceptable score on the Canadian Language Benchmarks Examination (CLB) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or any language capability test accepted by your preferred institution.
  • A complete application including an official transcript of records and an official statement of purpose for postgraduate studies
  • Proof of financial support can be confirmed by your home country’s embassy or consulate.
  • Successful completion and confirmation of secondary education with a transcript and passing grades: high school transcripts, high school diploma, general equivalency diploma, college transcripts/diplomas, etc.
  • Interview with our Admission Committee.
  • A satisfactory personal reference.
  • Proof of legal residence in your home country.

If you’re already in Canada on a work permit and/or study permit, no further steps are necessary. If you’re a permanent resident in Canada that has been living in Canada for a while, or if you’re a student currently studying in Canada on a study permit, and would like to continue your studies, the CSN (Canadian Study Permit) is your best option.

You can submit applications for the Canadian Study Permit to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) if:

  • Your current status permit expires within one year, or You already hold a study permit and would like to continue studying in Canada, or You fall under the age of 35 and would like to apply for Canadian permanent residence; or You’re requesting permission from CIC to work off-campus.

Once you’ve applied for an international student visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • If you’re under 18 years of age, your parent or guardian must sign an undertaking that they will be responsible for bringing you back to your home country at the end of your visit. If you’re over 18 years of age, you must make sure you have enough money to cover living expenses while in Canada.

If these conditions are met, you will receive approval for a study permit within two weeks after submitting all required documents.

The admission requirements for international students who are already in Canada on student visas:

International undergraduate or graduate students who are doing their undergraduate or graduate studies at any Canadian post-secondary institution will not need to apply for special student visas to study in Canada after being admitted to their chosen university.

Canadian post-secondary institutions will not need to apply for special student visas to study in Canada after being admitted to their chosen university. If you’re already studying in Canada on a student visa that’s expiring, you must renew your current visa within one year of its expiration date or enter another form of study and apply for a new study permit (this process is known as “continuation”).

If you apply for a new study permit and submit all required documents within 30 days after the expiry date of your current student visa, you will receive an approval within two weeks. If you apply for a permit after your existing student visa has expired, you will have to report to the local CIC office within seven days after the date of expiry, or after 30 days if your permit was renewed.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *